libcdio-devel

[Libcdio-devel] info about collaboration

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] info about collaboration
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:29:28 -0400

Francesco Argese writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm new to the list. I have read on the main page that you are
 > searching volunteers in order to implement new functionalitiesin order
 > to obtain a tool comparable to cdrtools with GPL license.

rms requested something be done in this area and libcdio (and possibly
vcdimager) are the closest existing GNU projects.

 > I'd like to collaborate but i first want to know what are the main
 > things to know.
 >
 > I know c programming and i have a little knowing (and a great
 > interest) in multimedia programming. Is it enough?

In my opinion, interest is more important than (pre-existing)
knowledge. If you have the interest you will likely get the knowledge
you need eventually, but the converse is less true.

 > I have done
 > something (as programmer) with gstreamer but it is a framework at an
 > higher level.

I don't think folks will hold that against you. ;-) Good programming is good
programming whether it is in a framework, high, or low level.