libcdio-help

Re: [Libcdio-help] Some questions about the use of libcdio in a FUSE fs.

From: Stef Bon
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-help] Some questions about the use of libcdio in a FUSE fs.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:44:24 +0200

2011/8/14 Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Stef Bon <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> Maybe you should try it.
>>
>> (as you can read I'm not ready with it, but it works )
>

> I just tried compiling from git sources.  I get
>     make: *** No rule to make target `cdfs-io-thread.h', needed by `cdfs.o'.
>  Stop.
> And there is no C header file cdfs-io-thread.h. Perhaps you meant to add
> this to the git repository? (As I write this there is only one initial
> commit to the git repository.)
> As far a the C coding style and organization, the code looks good!

Thanks!
I removed a special io thread from the fs, which I use in almost every
fuse fs. I've removed it recently from fuse-cdfs, but I forgot this
one. I already fixed this. The new version in gitorious is corrected.

Please let me know how it works!

>> Now I have some questions:
>>
>> a. is there a way to identify the cd uniquely.
>>
>> Right now it stores
>> cached files in
>>
>> %cache_directory%/tracknr-xx.wav
>>
>> Now when I unmount, I ant to be able to keep the cached file. I would
>> like to have an unique id per readable cdrom, like an uuid per
>> partition on a harddisk. Is there one?
>
> A CD can have a ISRC also known as a MCN  (Media Catalog Number). In
> practice many CDs do not have this. If I wanted to ensure uniqueness, I'd
> probably create a SHA1 hash for each track and do something with combining
> that for each of the tracks to form a disk hash.

Yes that's possible, but to get the SHA1 code per track you need to
have to read the whole file first, and that's what I want to avoid,
you understand? I would like to know how the fuse-fs can take the file
from the cache instead of reading the cdrom.

So yes the ISRC code you mention can be usefull here.

> The libcdio call read_audio_sectors allows you to read a large number of
> sectors in one call. Depending on the CD-ROM driver this may wind up into
> several smaller calls. If the CD-ROM support MMC, then read_audio_sectors
> turns into a MMC READ_CD call. I don't know that one can be more direct than
> this.

OK, this stays in the fridge for now. This requires some digging.

Stef Bon
the Netherlands