librefm-discuss

[Librefm-discuss] Re: lastscrape.py

From: Gordon Haverland
Subject: [Librefm-discuss] Re: lastscrape.py
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 16:32:12 -0700

Hello.

My TODO list got low enough, to look into this a little bit.  By
default, I have the too new 3.1 version of BeautifulSoup
(shortened to BS for this note).  I also downloaded BS-3.0.7a and
BS-3.0.8.

I have a "few" songs to download (364884).  I tried lastscrape as
written with 3.0.8, and it died after a while.  Thinking maybe the
time between pages was too short, I edited lastscrape to use a 20
second pause instead of a 1 second pause.  Both 3.0.8 and 3.0.7a
versions of BS still cause crashing.

I can see that at some point, a download of my data from Last.fm
is probably going to take a day or more.  Then I will have the
pleasure of getting rid of duplicates.  But, are there things a
person can do to get over humps in the download?

I'm not really a python person, I prefer perl.  But I can probably
adjust the python to do what is needed too.

Thanks,
Gord