libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Proposed Proof of Concept Tax Calculation

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Proposed Proof of Concept Tax Calculation
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 12:20:22 -0400

Hi Stephen,

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/bsnss/crpnt/sftwr-eng.html Testing time frames gives some idea of the schedule. The paper/PDF forms are usually available around the beginning of January so I doubt the developers get much of a jump on everyone else. The limit of 20 returns per computer could be interesting - I'm fine with coding that but we have to give the user access to the source to change it so I can see the CRA using this as an excuse to deny free software solutions... We may have to start with paper filing while we fight the battles to open up the CRA's interfaces.

Yes, the constant changes to the calculations are why my intuition is that the tax calculations have to be externalized as some kind of formula language so the changes can be crowd sourced. Perhaps it could be Prolog statements that get compiled into a Prolog program. It could also be R, bash, some spreadsheet formula language, I don't have strong opinion yet. There needs to be a way for people to contribute back partial updates to those portions of the logic they use, which might only be a subset of the calculations on a form - github? At some point would have to take a branch and try and certify it...

My feeling is that if we can get crowdsourcing the tax calculations to work we have a good chance of displacing the commercial software. We might not conquer the mass market first but if we can get accountants with more complex calculations to start contributing perhaps we could become the reference implementation and there would be pressure on the CRA to accommodate us. /end daydream.

We can't be the first to struggle with these issues. I wonder what our friends in the States are doing... Anyone care to contact Libre Planet US?

Greg