libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Netfile Application Thoughts

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Netfile Application Thoughts
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 16:20:59 -0400

I spoke with Paul Young of Canadian Accounting Services, which does
tax preparation. Paul thinks that if we were to provide an online web
service for filing, we'd have to register as Netfile filing agents as
well as developers.

Either way, any software we produce would have to be certified by the
CRA, which needs some assurances that the product that gets used to
file taxes is the same product that was certified. That seems to be at
odds with Freedoms 2 and 3, the freedom to make modifications and the
freedom to distribute those modifications.

I suspect our energies are better directed towards lobbying the
government to adopt more Free Software for its own use (office
administration, accounting, &c.)

About incorporation: SOBAC Microcomputer Services is incorporated as
"9024816 Canada Incorporated".  I would be willing to file the
application, but then there's the issue of who actually does the work.
 What other contractual obligations will the CRA application impose?
Would you all need to become employees? Bad news, SOBAC doesn't pay well.

- --Bob.