libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] elgg site for testing

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] elgg site for testing
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 02:49:13 +0000

On Saturday 07 March 2009 11:39, you wrote:
> Peter ha scritto:
> > If we use both elgg for internal use, and mediwiki for public, then
> > perhaps we can do some backend magic to integrate the two programs and
> > provide a simple interface for members. The downside is they use
> > different languages, which I am not geek enough to be enthusiastic about
> > ;).
> >
> > Peter
>
> At this point I think that elgg is not the right software to achieve the
> result you suggested. I think a wiki is a better tool to do that.

Are we still going to explore elgg further? I'm not into social networking, so
I can't really assess its merits within this context.

> The gNewSense developers are using pmwiki. They chose it because it
> seems to have less bugs than mediawiki.
>
> Did you evaluate this option?

I have now, although briefly ;) I like its philosophy and the implementation
is mostly feature compatible with mediawiki. The deal-breaker for me is it
doesn't support page hierarchies, which seems to be a combination of how its
namespace (called groups) and link parsing works. WikiTrails doesn't do the
job, although a neat idea we could use in mediawiki. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'd like to have a central place to work on ideas, but I'm not sure whether
this list or the fsf groups website is better. Any thoughts?

Peter