libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] license issues

From: Peter
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] license issues
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:42:53 +0000

While researching for the website proposal I came across the postgresql's
position on their license, which is BSD. One discussion
http://archives.postgresql.org//pgsql-general/2000-07/msg00210.php clearly
shows they would not consider any other license. Today they're still BSD, but
I don't know whether their attitude has changed.

I am beginning to suspect key software is not free, despite the 'vast number
of programs' under GPL. My issue isn't with the license itself, but whether
the developers are pro Free Software.

I had a look at savanah, savane, gna!, and quagga, but they don't seem to be
well maintained.

So, to what extent do we limit ourselves to pro developers in building Libre
Planet with free software (as opposed to open source)?

Peter