libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] Code of Conduct / Charter text

From: John Sullivan
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] Code of Conduct / Charter text
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:00:19 -0400

I know there are other open threads that still need replies, they are on
my to-do list, but I didn't want to delay getting these texts to the
list so that they can be improved a bit and then moved to the wiki.

So, please have a look at these and suggest improvements, then on Monday
we will post whatever we have to the wiki so it can be refined further
there.

I know Peter also worked up some text that should probably be merged
into this.

= Libre Planet Group Code of Conduct =

To indicate your support for and agreement to this mission statement,
you can [[sign statement | sign your name]].

== Mission ==

The mission of the Libre Planet project is to build a global network of
local groups, each of which is working diligently, professionally, and
competently to raise awareness of free software as an issue of ethics
and freedom.

So that the name Libre Planet is strongly associated with a clear goal,
and so that individual groups can cooperate and collaborate effectively,
we ask that all individuals and groups agree with this set of founding
principles.

== Methods ==

=== Emphasis ===

Libre Planet groups aren't primarily about promoting the technical
advantages of free software like GNU/Linux. They are about raising the
profile of freedom and ethical concerns. To this end, they refer to the
operating system as GNU/Linux, not Linux. They are clear about the
distinction between free software and open source, and prefer the term
free software.

=== Promotion ===

Groups should only promote distributions that are on the list of fully
free distributions.

=== Fundraising ===

Groups that want to help support the Libre Planet network and the other
work of the FSF often encourage their members or attendees at their
events to [donate to the FSF](http://donate.fsf.org). They pass out FSF
membership sign-up cards and collect contributions which they then
forward directly to the FSF.

Groups are of course also welcome to fundraise for themselves. They
should be clear about where the money is going. They should not give the
impression that money they are raising is going to the Free Software
Foundation, the GNU Project, or Libre Planet unless that is actually the
case.

=== Advertising ===

Sites should not have advertising for proprietary software on their
pages. This means that having things like Google Ads will require
filters.

=== Resources ===

Groups should not depend on any nonfree resources. They shouldn't use
things like Launchpad, or proprietary web services.

=== Organization ===

If you need to step down from a role you have in your group, especially
if you are the official group contact, please do so in a way that
minimizes impact on the group. We know that people want to sometimes
move on and do different things -- if you give us some notice that
you'll be leaving your role, we can help find a new contact for the
group.

== Specific resources ==

http://www.gnu.org/server/irc-rules.html

=== Mailing lists ===