libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] FAQ

From: John Sullivan
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] FAQ
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:02:00 -0400

Here is draft text for the FAQ, same deal as the Code of Conduct:

= FAQ =

== What is Libre Planet? ==

Libre Planet is a "big tent" under which local groups working for free
software and related causes can connect and support each other's
efforts. Coordination, guidance and infrastructure are provided by the
Free Software Foundation, but all of the groups are run independently.

Libre Planet serves to connect free software supporters with each other
in physical and online space through shared calendars and geographical
maps so they can better plan and share events and materials.

Libre Planet is founded on a set of ethical principles and guidelines
outlined in its [[code of conduct]].

== What do Libre Planet groups actually do? ==

Individual groups engage in a wide variety of activities. They do things
like encourage local schools and government offices to use free
software, they run install fests and events featuring free software
speakers, they write and publish useful information about free software
on their web sites -- being part of Libre Planet doesn't mean doing any
one particular thing, it means sharing a common goal and advancing
software freedom and doing whatever is appropriate in particular areas
to accomplish that.

== Where can I find a Libre Planet group in my area? ==

Check [[Find a group]] for a group in your area. Also try the search box
to the right. If neither of these things turn up a group in your area,
then maybe you should start one!

== How do I join a Libre Planet group? ==

Find the group in your area. Then add your name to the membership list
on the wiki page, and subscribe to their mailing list. If the group has
an associated Savannah project, you should join that too.

You probably also want to subscribe to the general Libre Planet list.

== Who can start a Libre Planet group?                                ==

Anyone can start a Libre Planet group.

== How do I start a Libre Planet group? ==

First, check and see if there is already a group in your area. If there
is, it's a good idea to work with them. If you don't see a group near
you, please start by reading our [HOWTO](starting-a-group.html).

== I'm in a similar group (like a GLUG) already -- Why should I be involved
with Libre Planet? ==

The idea is to plug your GLUG into Libre Planet, not to replace it. Just
add your group to the Libre Planet network.

== What's the difference between a GLUG or LUG and a Libre Planet group? ==

Many Libre Planet groups may also be GLUGs. Groups gathering under the
Libre Planet name are groups whose work for free software has ethical
motivations. They want free software not just because it's not made my
Microsoft or because it works better -- they want it because they want
to live in a free society.

== I met my local Libre Planet group but I don't like it. How do I replace it?
==

Are you sure you can't work with them? Try to attend and get to know the
group, and see if you can work with them. If you think the group is
doing something that makes Libre Planet look bad, then let us know.
There's also nothing wrong with having multiple groups in an area if
they really want to be separate, but generally this causes fragmentation
and it's better to have everyone working together.

== Does the FSF run all the Libre Planet groups? ==

No, the groups are run by the people in them. The FSF helps coordinate
and guide them, and provides infrastructure and resources.

== What resources do I need to run a Libre Planet group? ==

There's not much that you absolutely have to have, but having things
like a page on this wiki, a mailing list and an IRC channel is a good
idea. You can find details about setting up these resources in our
HOWTO.

== Can I just list my local group? Why is there an approval process at all? ==

The FSF doesn't control the activities of the Libre Planet groups, but
as a member of this network, we do want to make sure that we are all
working toward a coherent goal and that nothing is happening under the
name of this goal that will hurt its achievement.

An approved group is a group that is fully up and running, has the
required resources set up and has met the approval of the FSF Libre
Planet team. As such, you can see approved groups as groups with a
proven track record. Non-approved groups are typically groups that are
still forming, and if they continue to develop, they will get approved
status too.

== How do I stay in touch with what's going on outside my group? ==

Subscribe to the general Libre Planet mailing list.

== How do I resolve problems in my group? ==

Please see our tips and procedures for resolving problems.

== What do I do if my country is too big to have single meetings? ==

It might be a good idea to all consider yourselves part of the same
group, but have separate local meetings.

== Can I use the Libre Planet logos on my documents/websites/merchandise? ==

Yes, as long as your group is approved, and as long as those logos are
used in promotion of the Libre Planet goals and respect the project
guidelines.

== Where can I get free software CDs and schwag to hand out? ==

The Libre Planet staff can often send you CDs and materials in
connection with specific events that approved groups have planned.
Please contact us with some information about the event, like the date,
name, and number of expected attendees.

== Can groups have more than one mailing list? ==

Each group should have one mailing list.

== What are the requirements to join a Libre Planet group? ==

That's up to the individual groups, but the idea is that anyone who is
interested in software freedom issues and can work together as part of a
team can join.

== Can I change ownership on an IRC channel? ==

You can change ownership of your channel by talking to the current
channel owners and the Freenode staff. If there is a dispute about
channel ownership, please contact the FSF Libre Planet team.

== I have a question that's not answered here.  ==

You can email the Libre Planet staff at address@hidden, or since
this is a wiki page, you can add your question to the Talk page, and
check back for an answer.

--
John Sullivan
Manager of Operations