libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] wiki updates

From: Peter
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] wiki updates
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:50:44 +0000

Hi,

I'd like to create a category for the 2009 comments and turn it into a news
page. We can add a comment option to the LP09 menu so ppl can see the event
and read/add comments. This is also latest news, so we can turn the category
into a 'news page' and link to it from the Latest News thread. When the news
becomes old, we can simply remove the link from latest news and everything
else will be unchanged. Attendees can write their comments in their user page
and categorize it. I'm thinking Category:LibrePlanet2009/Comments (or perhaps
News), so it will be a subcategory to LibrePlanet2009.

I am getting a sense we need to provide more structure, so users will feel
more confident about creating pages. I would like to move all the LP09 pages
into the LibrePlanet2009 tree, but mysql crashes whenever I try. This means
the schedule page (and subpages) plus all the user notes etc. should be under
the NFS, HPP, Activism, and unconference subtrees. My patches would be
perfect for this (it will move the page and all subpages). However, to get
real control over the wiki, we should upgrade it (I think its 1.5.3 which is
very old).

My feeling here is that when users edit for events they should use their User
page when they're not part of the group, and the group page when they are.
This will ensure only group members edit the group pages, but other users can
contribute via the group's categories, e.g. Category:LibrePLanet2009 and
LP09. The group pages are formally structured, but users can structure their
User pages as they like. This means the notes for LP09 should be moved into
the LibrePlanet tree for members of the LibrePlanet group (not all FSF
members), while others moved to their User page.

I would also like to move the LibrePlanet2009 page to a subpage of
LibrePlanet, so we can start building group content. The session info could
be moved into the Project and worked on there, if necessary. This is
specifically the kind of info I think should be under project management.
This will leave the group pages free from session talk, but still linked to
it.

All the accommodation details should be moved into separate threads and
categorized, so other meetings can use the structure instead of polluting
their meeting page.

Both the Manchester and LibrePlanet use manual calendars, which is a real pain
to setup and maintain. The calendar extension I have my eye on would work
well in these situations and we should consider testing it.

I am very disappointed I could not attend, but I tried to figure out and give
the wiki some cohesion. Did anyone get any comments on the state of the wiki
and what could be done better?

Peter