libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Libre Planet status

From: Fernanda G Weiden
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Libre Planet status
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:56:13 +0200

2009/4/12 Peter <address@hidden>:
>> Hm, I think the idea is more that it's okay for groups to have outside
>> sites -- that way they can use the technology that they are comfortable
>> with -- but we do have standards about what is okay to link to and what
>> isn't.
>
> So they should have a group setup on LP, not a link to one.

I believe this path is dangerous and we shouldn't do this kind of
thing. The reasoning is:
1) A wiki is not a platform that can represent the group and
membership as it would be ideal
2) Groups already exists. We should encourage new ones to use our
infrastructure, but if we want to replace what the groups already do,
they will laugh at us for trying to create hierarchy in the community
3) LP should be a space to add value and resources to the community,
not to replace anything.

I think its ok to create a policy and have this information in place,
and once in a while check whether things are under control, but we
shouldn't spend more time being the police than helping people. If we
do that, I think we are failing in the purpose of our existence.

The focus of our work, therefore, should be how to integrate other
useful platforms on LP and how to make it as useful so people will
want to use it. Add functionality and make them available to people,
so they use it. Because they want, not because they must.

my 2 cents...
nanda