libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] A proposal for better usability

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] A proposal for better usability
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:15:11 +0000

(I am routing this back to dev list for discussion)

On Thursday 16 April 2009 18:05, you wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 14/04/2009 alle 22.28 +0000, Peter ha scritto:
> > On Tuesday 14 April 2009 18:55, dotcommon wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> So, if the required effort is not too much, I think it should be better
> having menubars in all the lp groups pages. But it is to you :-)

To give you some idea what I am looking at see http://www.peacejam.org/.
Note the following:

1- They have a 10 point activism statement.
2- They have groups and an _affiliate_ member (contact, leader, associate)
3- They do not allow online registration (as far as I can see).
4- They use projects to control their activism.
5- They have a _handbook_ to guide groups.
6- They use training tools to teach members how to work as a group.
7- They provide activism courses.
8- They provide a detailed project plan to measure its success.
9- They allow projects to partner with other organizations.
10- They provide multimedia materials to promote their cause.

What they don't do is require groups create groups. For them, project action
is more important. For LP, its success depends on its membership, so growing
groups is important.

This is similar to how I see Libre Planet operating and am working on adding
project templates along these lines. Clearly, LP is group network oriented,
but projects can play an important role.

The group/project part will look like a wiki, but feel like a program (e.g.
peacejam, facebook etc). On upgrade, members will see wiki pages, but use
forms to edit them, so they don't need to know wiki markup and the forms can
connect related projects and tasks from all groups. Do you think the peacejam
project model will work for LP, or should it be something different?

Regards,

Peter