libreplanet-dev

[Libreplanet-dev] Recent and future updates to libreplanet mediawiki

From: Danny Clark
Subject: [Libreplanet-dev] Recent and future updates to libreplanet mediawiki
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:27:26 -0400

So the following updates have been made to the libreplanet mediawiki in
the last few days; see http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Special:Version for
details.

1. Upgrade from mediawiki 1.5.3 + difficult to port custom changes to
1.14.0 + authentication as an extension (thanks to peabo) + migration of
username namespace to the mediawiki default (first character must be
upper case - many thanks to leth on #libreplanet who wrote code that
made the Renameuser extension usable from the command line - code will
be released shortly as it seems generally useful.)

This change should make it *much* easier to upgrade in the future, as
well as to install additional extensions etc.

2. Subpages enabled in all namespaces, including Main.

3. Semantic Mediawiki -
http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki

4. Semantic Forms - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms

5. Calendar - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Calendar_(Kenyu73)

Other than that and technical doc for that I'm planning on:

1. Installing a better search extension - I've used
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SphinxSearch and it seems nice,
but I'd welcome feedback/suggestions on this topic.

2. Installing OpenID support -
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID

3. Installing whatever is needed to make comparison pages look as nice
as they do on Wikipedia -
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Freest_hardware_comparisons still looks ugly.

Please tell us if there is anything else you'd really like to have, here
or come to #libreplanet on freenode IRC to chat.

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny