libreplanet-dev

Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Recent and future updates to libreplanet mediawiki

From: Peter
Subject: Re: [Libreplanet-dev] Recent and future updates to libreplanet mediawiki
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:15:47 +0000

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 16:20, you wrote:
> Peter <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Tuesday 12 May 2009 15:27, Danny Clark wrote:

> >> 2. Subpages enabled in all namespaces, including Main.
> >
> > Good. What is the position regarding the subpage extension? I have
> > updated it and have other extensions pending approval. (more below)
>
> I'm fine with including them. I wasn't sure if we needed them given the
> built-in Subpage stuff. I've passed your list at the bottom on to the
> sysadmins so that these further things can get done.

Hmm, I don't understand, the built-in subpages just creates and deletes them,
but doesn't show them in the parent page. The extension just shows subpages,
it doesn't create or delete them. We need both subpages enabled and the
extension. Am I missing something?

> >> 5. Calendar - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Calendar_(Kenyu73)
> >
> > Request the namespace be changed from Calendars to Event (singular) as
> > this namespace deals with events, the actual calendars can be on any page
> > in any namespace, iirc. Now we can add a calendar to current events page
> > and maintain current events automatically for all groups.
>
> Agreed.

I see Calendars namespace still exists, is that necessary?

> >> Other than that and technical doc for that I'm planning on:
> >>
> >> 1. Installing a better search extension - I've used
> >> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SphinxSearch and it seems nice,
> >> but I'd welcome feedback/suggestions on this topic.
> >
> > Current searching targets the page name, but ignores any displaytitle the
> > page may have. Would like the search to first match displaytitle and then
> > page name. Unlike wikipedia, we're free to use the page name as an
> > organisation tool (subpages) and create our own page title that may not
> > change when the page is moved. This also means we can use shortened page
> > names, without having a cryptic title. Searching a short page name makes
> > little sense, while searching the display title does. Other than that,
> > any search tool will do.
>
> I agree I think, but what needs to happen to fix it?

I was responding to Danny's rfc on a search tool, but I have no idea what's
available.

> >> 2. Installing OpenID support -
> >> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID
> >
> > I see LP as a large network of websites, where many groups have their own
> > wiki/website syndicated together into a single large web space (the
> > LibrePlanet network). In this context, openid might be more practical.
> > OpenID login with third party websites, however, probably won't benefit
> > LP. If we're going to have a singe mammoth website, how would openid
> > help?
>
> OpenID means that people can more easily import their profile
> information from other places, which might include their contact details
> and info about what projects they work on. It's also a nice thing to do
> from a freedom perspective because it puts individual users in control
> of their authentication if they want to be -- they can run their own
> OpenID server, for example.

I think we should scrap user registration entirely, and replace the login page
with group and member registrations. :) Since most people will be focused on
their local group, I really don't see the need to store personal data.

The group profile, however, can be quite detailed because groups will need to
colaborate and network. Groups could run their own OpenID server, in which
case, it would be limited to LP's network, rather than the rest of the world.

> > 4- Allow ordinary users to delete pages. Any deletion can be reverted, so
> > it is not catastrophic and it minimizes administration. Users will feel
> > more comfortable about creating pages if they know they can delete them,
> > too. However, this is conditional on users being authenticated, e.g.
> > email, or by an existing (authenticated) user. Or perhaps users can be
> > given these rights on request?
>
> I think it's fine for any logged in user to have this ability. Anything
> can be reverted, as you say.

Thanks.

> > 7- Move the region and area pages into categories. Require groups to
> > categorize their main page (the group template can help). I am working on
> > a script to automatically populate the category namespace with regions
> > and areas because there are hundreds of identical pages. A tool that
> > knows regions and areas will simplify this process. I'd like to use
> > continents, countries, and areas (province/state) rather than just
> > regions. Of course, if I can't delete pages, there might be a big mess
> > for someone else to clean up :(
>
> Let's use SMW for this -- see for example,
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Properties_and_types.
>
> This will help because we might, for example, want to be able to show
> groups that are headquarted in different places, but also groups that
> have members in other places.

Makes sense, although we should ensure groups remain local as far as possible.

> So maybe we should start with:
>
> [[based in::Italy]]
>
> as the way to initializing categorize group pages?

You mean when the script generates the category page, it includes, the smw
stuff? Sure, I wanted the script to generate a full page.

> The coordinates property might be useful here as well:
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Property:Coordinates.
>
> Then we can use SMW's inline queries:
>
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Inline_queries
>
> to generate the groups-by-country list.
>
> Sound good?

Yes, the data mining bit (groups-by-country) sounds good, but are the region
pages still going to be moved to categories, or will they be deleted from the
Main namespace and smw create categories dynamically?

> > 8- Please advise on what I still need to do to have my subpage extension
> > added to the wiki. I have made a page at
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MultiPages and
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SubPageFunctions. I have no home
> > for the tarballs, they're currently on my website, but I'd like to upload
> > them to LibrePlanet, or perhaps savane?
>
> Sure, we can host them at LP. Can you just upload them as files? They
> aren't big, right?

Thanks, the files are a few kb, but if they're useful, I expect they'll get
larger over time. ;)

Regards,

Peter