Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Project

From: VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Project
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:36:04 -0300

> Hello Victor.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

That was a quick response.

> > In other words, google groups and yahoo are worthless crap.
>

> Not completely worthless crap, they have some nice features, but as a
> complete solution they are problematic.

Google groups messes up headers and yahoo groups appends 1000 lines
of useless html code into every message. That is the definition of
crap.

Whithout mentioning that you can't control what they are doing
with mail, they may as well been censoring some mail, who knows???

> I could address your points one-by-one, but if you're the kind of person who
> considers `mailman` to be a convenient and effective service, then I believe
> no meaningful communication can occur between us, at least on this matter.

It looks like you are saying that mailman is very hard to use.
By who? developers? Normal users?

Normal users just go to a website, write their mail and click
subscribe. How hard is that??

Developers should be able to admin mailman very easily.

> > Why don't you mail the guy from Librelist and the FSF to see
> > what happens?
> >

> This is what I just did. I asked whether this is the proper place to
> introduce a project to the FSF, and was asked about the project, and then
> introduced it.

Mail the guy and someone at FSF. If you want I can talk with rms
about his opinion on this.

> But there are many people who contribute to FOSS and whose
> technical skills are much less developed than yours. For these people, tasks
> that may be trivial to you, like administering a mailman server, may be in
> fact very hard. I've had these people in mind when I introduced this
> project.

That's why I said:

        Fair enough for very small projects.

Those people won't be administering mailman, nor majordomo2 nor
any other mailing list software. They are non-tech users after
all...

They can go ahead and set up an mailing list in the service you
mentioned.

There are others too. For instance: resist.ca and riseup.net.

So, what's your point? Why are you attacking mailman?

> Also, please cut down on the sarcasm and terseness when sending me any
> messages in the future. If this is unacceptable to you, you are free to
> ignore any messages I send to the list.

It may surprise you that I'm trying to help you.

But if you seek help from free software people you shouldn't start by
saying that mailman is "1995 crap".