Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:07:54 +0200

Il giorno mercoledì 03/08/2011 19:54:12 CEST
Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> FOSS, that we include:
> [...]
> We keep the collection small, to ensure quality and relevance for the
> Windows crowd, for the Home users.

for a wide and categorized selection of *Free Software* alternatives for
non-free OSs see:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanetItalia/Progetti/software_libero

> 2. Are you seeing the value of educating Windows crowd the values of
> Free Software ?

I believe that the *conscious* use of completely free OSs, free
softwares and free formats is, in the context of today's society, a
practice central to our freedom (not only digital).

For these reasons, I think we should say clearly that the use of free
software on non-free OSs is a ruinous compromise that should be avoided.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, there may be situations (eg at work) where
it can be virtually impossible to use an entirely free system. In these
cases it is still important to use free software as much as possible,
knowing full well that it is a compromise: this awareness, we will push
it to try to change things and not to compromise in all other
situations (eg in our private sphere and relational) in which there is
no real compulsion to do so!

regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon