Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows

From: Daniel Martí
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 01:08:27 +0200

al3xu5, i had never before thought of time and effort spent as in another form of money. Thank you, sincerely.

And i greatly support your idea: using free software on a non-free base would be like building a house on top of a sand pitch. It might work, but to no advantage.

al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:
Il giorno mercoledì 03/08/2011 14:22:21 CEST
"Grant H." <ghoulgat@alumni.uci.edu> ha scritto:

> libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org
>
> I don't know about a ruinous comprimise. Lets say a friend asks me
> to come over and help them work on their computer. I see two possible
> scenarios:
>
> 1) Most likely it is a windows computer [...]

> 2) Same situation they ask me to come over for help [...]

Good... Before I just mean that:

- we (Free Software users and supporters) should use only fully libre
systems, applications and formats (and I know we already do that)

- in some circumstances we cannot avoid using proprietary OSs (eg at
work) and then is important to use free software and formats as much
as possible, knowing well that it is a just a compromise

- when other people (eg friends) which are using proprietary systems ask
us for help, we should install free software and use free formats
also explaining them that this is a compromise because they dont have
a fully free system and also explaining because they should have
one... (the risk installing Free Software on a proprietary system is
that people could think we are endorsing it in some way)
in other words, I think the most important thing is to help people to
rise their "political" awareness about the Free Software "philosophy"

> Just some thoughts. Having a CD full of Free Software I would find
> useful if a friend asked me for help. If they asked me for help wit
> their browser I could install icecat and then recommend they also
> check out LibreOffice and GIMP. That may be enough to get the ball
> rolling and a good conversation started.

and this (the conversation) is the most important thing: if people were
conscious about how bad is proprietary software, they will change to
Free Software permanently, even paying a "price" in terms of effort and
time...

regards

--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535

Public GPG/PGP key block
ID: 1024D/11C70137
Fingerprint: 60F1 B550 3A95 7901 F410 D484 82E7 5377 11C7 0137
Key download: http://bitfreedom.noblogs.org/gallery/5721/dotcommon.asc
[ Please, do not send my key to any keyserver! ]