Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DVD-PL license feedback

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DVD-PL license feedback
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:27:10 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick said:
> My theory is that DVD redistribution only will give me a larger time
> window that the codebase will stay within an enforceable territory

But if we're talking about people that aren't inclined to follow the license
what's to stop said person from distributing it over the internet anyway? In
those cases it makes no difference to them what your license says anyway.

What would your plan be in those cases where someone on the other side of the
planet starts to distribute it over the internet?

> I never want my software to become proprietary

> GPL, the software is never proprietary.

> Competitors will just fork the code and roll it into proprietary software.

Your whole argument shows a lack of understanding how the GPL works, I think,
unless you mean that the people that make your software proprietary are doing
so even though the GPL is designed to prevent that? In those cases the only
thing keeping the software free is license enforcement.

Or, think of it this way: A program licensed under the GPL without any license
enforcement is identical to a program licensed under Apache 2.0.