Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GAMING COLLECTIVE: Anybody play Ryzom?

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GAMING COLLECTIVE: Anybody play Ryzom?
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:43:05 -0600

Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is "Free as in Freedom" hosting/subscription outside the LibrePlanet
>> agenda?
>

> Depends on what you mean by this. Ryzom is fully free software, which
> includes the server-side code.

I'm not talking about software, I'm talking about the hardware
required to host that software, and also compensation to the workers
who install, operate and maintain that hardware, and also the
electricity and spare parts and all other costs of production.

> Sounds like you're talking about price though, not freedom.

For hardware, the price of Freedom is always non-zero.

Hardware has real costs that we can never eliminate.

But costs are only part of the issue.

Another part is whether *all* the Users have real control, or are
subjugated by those who actually own that hardware.

Just because the FSF owns the servers doesn't mean all Users will be
guaranteed Free as in Freedom access to that hardware.