[libreplanet-discuss] Thoughts on Firefox OS (aka Boot to Gecko)

From: Michael Mehrazar
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Thoughts on Firefox OS (aka Boot to Gecko)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:14:22 -0400

I was wondering is there had been any discussions on Mozilla's proposed Firefox OS. (Codenamed Boot to Gecko) For those unfamiliar, it is Mozilla's proposed free/open source operating system for smartphones. It seeks to support solely HTML5 apps, which will be part of the "open Web". The benefits of such an approach is to keep costs low and to make it so developers are not divided amongst different developmental APIs. More information can be found here or here.

My interest is whether there is any interest in this project in the free/libre software community. Should Firefox OS be considered Software as a Service (SaaS), because of its reliance on web apps? Or because of the open matter in which it is being developed (publicly developed, unlike Android), is it more acceptable?

I hope this conversation is on topic and that there will be a healthy discussion. Also, I am not a developer in any sense, just a curious user.

Michael Mehrazar