Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Thoughts on Firefox OS (aka Boot to Gecko)

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Thoughts on Firefox OS (aka Boot to Gecko)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:02:46 +0200

> My interest is whether there is any interest in this project in the
> free/libre software community. Should Firefox OS be considered
> Software as a Service (SaaS), because of its reliance on web apps? Or
> because of the open matter in which it is being developed (publicly
> developed, unlike Android), is it more acceptable?

Can these Web apps or servers they use be controlled by their users?
Unsure why it would be different than for applications for other mobile
operating systems.

Public development is beneficial, although it probably doesn't affect
user's freedom directly.

I haven't seen any sources suggesting if the typical phone freedom
problems will be different with it, like nonfree hardware drivers,
baseband firmware or tivoization (or the easier to replace SaaS programs
like in Android).