[libreplanet-discuss] Kickstarting LibrePlanet Haiti local team

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Kickstarting LibrePlanet Haiti local team
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:45:22 -0500

Hi all

I am in Haiti since July 25 helping unpack, configure, connect, install
~50 computers for a new school in St-Marc Haiti (Collège James M.
Stine). This also includes training on PC inventory, technical support
and school administration using FLOSS.

This is my second time in Haiti, here are a few pictures of a similar
project we did last year:
http://picasaweb.google.com/magicfab/HaitiAvril2011

I am kickstarting a new local team for LibrePlanet, based on my own
experience with Ubuntu local teams and more recently with the
LibrePlanet Quebec team. Here is the wiki page as a place holder:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet_Haiti

If you are in the area or know of other Haitians (or not) interested in
this, please pass this information. A mailing list is being set up.
There is already an Ubuntu local team if you can't wait for the
LibrePlanet resources:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ht

The main focus is translating some basic resources to Haitian Creole and
training local students and teachers to act as multipliers of the
conferences/workshops I am giving, and also provide them technical
knowledge to perform basic installations, maintenance, and most
importantly, recognize and use 100% free, open source software (starting
with Trisquel).

If anyone has questions please ask them here (not off-list), I will try
to answer as I can. Connectivity and time is limited here but I wanted
to get this started while I am on site. Any comments/suggestions are
welcome too of course.

My presence here is organized by MicroRecycCoop, a PC recycling
organization in Montreal, Canada. I am acting as a consultant for them,
advising and organising similar projects for educational customers.

Cheers,

Fabian

--
Fabián Rodríguez