Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ethical non-DRM uses of EME

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ethical non-DRM uses of EME
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 11:20:08 -0400

On 05/17/2013 08:57 AM, Andrew Roffey wrote:
> However, I'm aware that EME does help with
> key exchange on the browser-level, and provides a standard API for
> dealing with encrypted content. It could also make it easier to handle
> support multiple cryptosystems (or the lack of one).

For general Web Cryptography stuff you can look toward the Web
Cryptography working group <http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/> or the
XML encryption spec <http://www.w3.org/standards/techs/xmlenc#w3c_all>.
I am pretty sure all the things you described can and should be done
through these working groups/specs.

EME really is focused on doing Digital Restrictions Management on video
and audio. It extends the HTMLMediaElement API (e.g., stuff that works
on audio tag and video tag elements) with the idea that a user will be
running a proprietary user agent (i.e., what we normally call the
browser) and it will pass everything over to some proprietary software
on your operating system that will decrypt and play the video/audio.