Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Linux.com promoting Google Glass?

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Linux.com promoting Google Glass?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:40:33 +0200

Dnia sobota, 18 maja 2013 o 00:03:41 Manuel Palomo Duarte napisał(a):
> As I understand the interest of Linux.com (ergo Linux Foundation) is
> promoting Linux in all its applications and uses. Of course, preferring
> those related to freedom, but linux is just linux

I strongly disagree with that. Free software has strong ethical values
enshrined, it's not just Yet Another Engineering Paradigm. Personal freedom is
crucial, and any use of free software to curtail such freedom should in my
book be shunned upon.

If it's not, what's the actual virtue of using GNU/Linux? Why use GNU/Linux,
if it offers no real advantage (freedom-wise) compared to closed OSes?

There are many levels on which users are being closed in walled gardens and
spied upon. Protection of privacy is a crucial issue of our time, and while I
agree that Linux.com doesn't have to actively fight to defend privacy, some
sensitivity about the issue should be IMHO visible in what is published there.

Promoting Google, one of the largest IT companies and most one of the most
dangerous to privacy, shows that such sensitivity is lacking there. Which is a
pity.

Google doesn't need our promotion, it can (and does) promote itself pretty
well. Rather than Google, why don't we promote more libre and privacy-aware
companies, like Jolla Mobile?

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania