Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Google to drop XMPP entirely

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Google to drop XMPP entirely
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:50:20 +0200

Dnia wtorek, 28 maja 2013 o 21:35:07 Patrick Anderson napisał(a):
> >  stop depending on Google services step by step.
>
> I wonder how people can do this without running their own server.
>
> Many ISP connections do not allow you to run exposed servers.
>
> May people cannot handle the complexity of managing servers.
>
> Is there any other way?

This is a valid issue that needs adressing. I see distributed, federated,
server-based services (like XMPP; Diaspora/Friendica/OStatus; yes, even E-
mail) as a stop-gap measure between centralised stuff we're getting from
"TwitBook+", and completely decentralised, user-run software that *should* be
our goal.

The technical means that can allow us to achieve such complete
decentralisation are among others:
 - DHT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table
 - HE : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homomorphic_encryption

Projects aiming at doing just this include:
 - Sneer: http://sneer.me/

And before somebody says "it would never get popular": a real-world example of
a hugely popular distributed "file locker" with copious amounts of redundancy
is... BitTorrent.

Also, interesting read:
http://wiki.socialswarm.net/Beyond_the_federation

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania