Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Google to drop XMPP entirely

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Google to drop XMPP entirely
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:20:57 +0100

VPS is one in-between way to run your "own" server despite your ISP.

However, I have trouble finding the time and resources to move my email to my VPS. I'm hoping to find a friend (or several) to do it together with at some point - maybe even from this list :)

I've had an easier time getting off Google+ (and Facebook etc.) and other Google services one by one. The only ones left are mail and calendar. For the latter I've been meaning to try out apphointments.

For chat I wish everyone would just use IRC or SIP or XMPP (+Jingle).

I wonder what is happening with WebRTC now that Hangouts is taking over everything at Google...