Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software tools for scholars

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software tools for scholars
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:36:29 -0500

Hey Marko,

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 04:17:26PM -0700, Marko Dimjašević wrote:
> Therefore, I think it'd be great to join efforts (if anyone else is
> interested) and start working on creating such a resource of tools
> needed in research (and issues that arise if proprietary software is
> used). We would also note where free software doesn't exist, and
> hopefully raise awareness about it.

While I cannot point you to a list of scholarly resources---which I would
love to have myself---here are some resources for free alternatives:

  <http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page>
  <http://prism-break.org/en/>

The former is a strong focus for the FSF and already has some useful
categories, so it may be worth contributing software to that directory.
That said, it would still be useful to have a page (even if it's on one of
those sites) dedicated to academia to act as a context-specific guide for
entry.

Hopefully others will have some more insight.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker