Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to f

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to free them
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 09:22:17 -0600

Fabio Pesari wrote:
We hear about companies like Facebook and Google buying out startups all
the time and I thought, why don't we use crowdfunding to buy the rights
to proprietary programs ourselves and release their code under the GPL?
(Of course, we have to be sure all their dependencies are also free).

I believe this has been done before. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#History Blender, the free rendering/editing program, was originally developed at Neo Geo and used internally, then later distributed as proprietary software by Not a Number Technologies. In mid-July 2002 the "Free Blender" campaign collected money to release the Blender source code under a free license with an option of also a non-free license. This option was never used and it was suspended in 2005. A free software Blender was released on August 20, 2003 as version 2.26. Today Blender remains free software licensed to all under "GNU GPLv2 or any later".

It's a good idea, and a practical way to get more free software, get more free documentation, and when coupled with a strongly copylefted free software license (such as AGPLv3 or later), secure software freedom for the foreseeable future.