Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:28:11 -0800

On 02/11/2016 07:44 AM, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> On 02/11/2016 03:58 PM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:

> As I said, it's understood that the FSF is about software freedom (even
> though there are no organizations that care about free culture, since
> Creative Commons also created the nonfree -NC and -ND licenses); all I'm
> saying is by using nonfree licenses for their own works and in some
> cases making statements such as "art does not need to be free", they are
> already taking a non-neutral position, and it's one that it's harming
> free software in some cases (videogames).

It's careless to assume that because you don't know of an organization
that does something that therefore none exists.

There's a non-active organization: http://freeculture.org
and there's a quite active organization that emphasizes science and
government statistical data more than cultural works but *does* include
cultural works and whose definition of "open" *explicitly* aligns with
free/libre values: https://okfn.org/ — Open Knowledge *is* an
organization that cares about free culture and rejects ND and NC licenses.