Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 19:50:36 +0100

On 02/12/2016 06:47 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> [...]
>
> The FSF is a guiding light for software freedom. That light is made less
> bright
> by its inconsistent commitment to freedom for non-software works, but it's
> frequent and prominent use of non-free licenses for non-software. That light
> could shine much brighter, much clearer, with a consistent commitment to
> freedom.
>
> I think the FSF should adopt a consistent licensing principle, and license its
> non-software works with the same commitment to freedom as its software. That
> would be an easy fix for this bug.

I agree with all of your excellent post, Blaise (an apt name for someone
with sound logic!).

I also agree on trademarks. There is room for abuse there as well, but
at least everything can be solved by using another word.

The real question is: we've had a great discussion, and raised many good
points, but is this going to be another of those edgy Internet debates
with no concrete results? We need the FSF to acknowledge this issue,
whatever their answer might be.