Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Virtual Reality and user freedom

From: Nicolas Kozic
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Virtual Reality and user freedom
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 23:19:24 +0100

> On 03 Mar 2016, at 09:56, Fabio Pesari <fabiop@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> I think at some point there will be a global VR network, and since
> companies like Facebook and Google already invested heavily in VR, they
> will be the ones setting the rules.

Hi,
When I was 17 years longtime ago 1990 there was a French underground magazine
“Actuel” edited a special number issue collector and inside there’s an article
about J. Lanier where he show his vision about vr. How much times I reasoned
about this ? A lot, I thought it could be a huge bound for humanity, and me
theoretically yet ready. It was hope, a  surviving’s sign or something else I
don’t know. In ’97 I even crossed France by train to a vr expo. French had
fixed a solution with the most lighty & correct render with simulation inside,
I talked with one dev. It’s been ok it’s on but expensive only silicon graphics
was able to purpose graphics hardware and also sun microsystem had team’s
ressource for graphics.
One or two yrs ago I saw an article about J. Lanier who explained his
disappointment. time next he has been hired by Microsoft. I tried, my dream,
oculus dk 2 and it wasn’t really open. I’m disappointed as I was enthusiasm. I
act a decision, vr no because too much speculation. My computer fits my
interests enough and a LCD screen is right for working. I don’t need more. I’m
not new in computer land and it's screw. If B. Gates put a hand on, in a way
nice game and their management would be large, you can’t play. I’m too old and
looked at as mad, but yes we could but people prefers vr with santa claus than
vr without santa claus. I drifted away this hopefully.

Nicolas Kozic
nkozic@fdn.fr