Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Uniform look-and-feel on GNU/Linux

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Uniform look-and-feel on GNU/Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 13:21:30 -0500

On Saturday 09 April 2016, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> What I care about is consistency, predictability, usability and
> accessibility, so when I say "ugly" I don't mean it as the opposite of
> "beautiful", but as a violation of those four parameters.

As I said before, the relative stability of free software is one of the things
I really enjoy about it.  Will consistency, predictability and usability will
be helped by a new UI, or will that simply confuse established users without
any real appeal to new users?

Like most users, I absolutely hate having to learn a new UI just to keep doing
what I've been doing for years.  It's even worse when a UI or toolkit change
also brings a loss of features, and that often happens.

If you have a way of presenting the software you love in a way that you think
is better, by all means tell people about it.  Be specific.  Make mockups.
Make something so amazing that its merits are self obvious.  If that's what
software freedom depends on, everyone will be happy.