Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ownership of software invention

From: Dave Rolek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ownership of software invention
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:28:14 -0500

On 2017-01-13 05:19 PM, Adam Van Ymeren wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Charles Cossé <ccosse@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you should refer to the paperwork you signed when you became
>> employed there.  Usually they say that they own everything you do on their
>> time and you could get in legal trouble releasing if it's technically
>> theirs.  But see what others say ...
>> -Charles
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Greg Farough <gregf@riseup.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, all,
>>>
>>> I'm writing with a somewhat specific question. I'm a non-developing
>>> employee of a Missouri software company. In my spare time, I do develop,
>>> though, and am about to release a program of substantial size as free
>>> software. I'm concerned about my employer's finding out about this and
>>> using it to gain "ownership" over the program, seeing as how I wrote it
>>> while under their employ. Is there anything I can do to retain my
>>> copyright so that I can release it as free software, or does my employer
>>> have legal claim over my program?
>
> Read the terms of your employment, but to be really sure you should
> consult a lawyer with experience in intellectual property.
>

>>> I appreciate your attention and response,
>>> Greg

I agree upon referring to the paperwork you signed.

It sounds like you've developed this entirely in your spare time
*outside of work*.
If so, chances are - but not guaranteed - that the paperwork won't have
laid claim to that, unless it's related to the work you do at that company.

However, IANAL (I am not a lawyer).  Please check over the paperwork and
consult a lawyer if necessary.  As Adam mentions, you should consult a
lawyer (experienced with this) if you want to be really sure.

Best,
dmr