Re: [libreplanet-discuss] talos

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] talos
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:07:17 -0600

Fabián Rodríguez wrote:
* Give $10 or $250 - no options in-between

The price gap that mattered more to me was the machine price gap -- $3700 for a mainboard ("CPU, RAM, power supply, storage drives, and chassis sold separately") and $7100 for a working computer without monitor. That's both significantly more money than I can afford and there is no small machine -- I don't know what could have been reduced to save on costs (I also don't know what the options were to achieve that), but I know I don't need a server-grade computer even if it is ATX-compatible (and would therefore fit in many readily-available cases). I'd like to play high-res videos (2K or 4K, at most), run an emulator (such as MAME), run many programs at once without fear of overheating the CPU and causing it to stop due to thermal shutdown, and occasionally encode audio/video for my own projects.

I'd never need so many cores (up to 96 logical cores), more than one gigabit ethernet connector, so many slots (I'd have a hard time justifying a need for more than one for video and only if the onboard video wasn't good enough to do the above). But this was a far more capable computer than I'd ever need and quite a risk considering the architecture was not so popular (there are free or free-able distros that don't provide precompiled binaries for this architecture). Maybe a laptop version of this system would be a better fit for my needs (a Librem laptop with this hardware inside would be fine and I wouldn't care about ATX-compatibility and with this Librem could actually make good on their promise for free firmware).

* No T-shirts, no stickers

This didn't bother me. I would have made my own t-shirts if I wanted one. Perhaps projects should clearly license their logos, fonts, and related materials so people could make their own non-commercially distributed goods (stickers, t-shirts, mugs, and anything else people can readily make or have made for them these days).

* 6 months shared SSH-access for 250$?

This pricing made no sense to me but I considered it mostly about donating to the project.

* Absurd amount of information to digest in every update (even for me)

I like the detailed info they published, I'd even recommend other projects do this because that detail level shows me what project workers (who are doing the bulk of the work including all the day-to-day tasks) are thinking about and what issues they consider relevant. I don't see how that is at all harmful to me because I can choose how much to read and when to read the posts. I think a general-purpose audience is not well-served by such posts, however. I'd bet non-technical users would appreciate something more plainly worded. The technical info should be available, perhaps posted to a blog hosted elsewhere on the company's website.

I am concerned that when the crowdsupply.com page goes away, so too do these updates which are still interesting information and valuable not only for future reading but reference to others.