Re: [libreplanet-discuss] resources about mailing lists vs. forums (e.g.

From: John Sullivan
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2017 15:21:18 -0400

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:

> I've seen various communities having debates about whether to adopt
> Discourse of similar forum software instead of a mailing list.
>
> Has anybody already prepared any objective wiki pages or blogs comparing
> mailing lists to forums and itemising each of the issues to be considered?
>
> Rather than repeating the same discussions in many places, it would be
> useful to link to something that covers it comprehensively.
>
> With Discourse in particular, each time it comes up somebody comments
> that it has a "Mailing list mode" option in the settings and suggesting
> it is a drop-in replacement for a mailing list.  In practice, I've
> observed that the mailing list mode is better than what other forums
> offer but I feel it is somewhere between alpha and beta quality when
> compared to established mailing list software.  If the developers really
> wanted to they could make it a full replacement for mailing lists but
> that doesn't appear to be a priority for them.

I'm not aware of any, but I think that's a good idea, since I've seen
the same conversation many times too. The libreplanet.org wiki could be
a good place for it?

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.