Re: [libreplanet-discuss] resources about mailing lists vs. forums (e.g.

From: John Sullivan
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 11:57:07 -0400

Thomas Harding <tom@thomas-harding.name> writes:

> Le 5 août 2017 21:21:18 GMT+02:00, John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> a écrit :
>> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:
>>
>> > I've seen various communities having debates about whether to adopt
>> > Discourse of similar forum software instead of a mailing list.
>> >
>> > Has anybody already prepared any objective wiki pages or blogs
>> comparing
>> > mailing lists to forums and itemising each of the issues to be
>> considered?
>> >
>> > Rather than repeating the same discussions in many places, it would
>> be
>> > useful to link to something that covers it comprehensively.
>> >
>> > With Discourse in particular, each time it comes up somebody
>> comments
>> > that it has a "Mailing list mode" option in the settings and
>> suggesting
>> > it is a drop-in replacement for a mailing list.  In practice, I've
>> > observed that the mailing list mode is better than what other forums
>> > offer but I feel it is somewhere between alpha and beta quality when
>> > compared to established mailing list software.  If the developers
>> really
>> > wanted to they could make it a full replacement for mailing lists
>> but
>> > that doesn't appear to be a priority for them.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any, but I think that's a good idea, since I've seen
>> the same conversation many times too. The libreplanet.org wiki could
>> be
>> a good place for it?
>>
>> -john
>
> Nothing will prevent repeating constantly same discussions.
>
> Just try a convenient limitative list of keywords to find a topic on
> an internet search engine and result is almost always void or, at
> option, fills numerous pages with non-significant matches.

Sure, I didn't mean to try and have that as a goal. The goal is to use
the conversation to build a more permanent kind of resource that people
can draw from and refer to in future related conversations and
decisions.

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.