Re: [libreplanet-discuss] resources about mailing lists vs. forums (e.g.

From: J.B. Nicholson
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 02:13:48 -0500

John Sullivan wrote:
I'm not aware of any, but I think that's a good idea, since I've seen
the same conversation many times too. The libreplanet.org wiki could be
a good place for it?

I see that https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists_vs._Discourse_Forum now points only to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum .

I wanted to bring up one Discourse.org-specific problem I've not seen with mailing lists: Discourse.org doesn't seem to design their server layout to properly scale up.

Background: Currently there's a problem with Firefox where apparently a certificate used with Firefox add-ons has recently expired and now Firefox users are seeing their add-ons become disabled.

Current situation: Mozilla has a discourse.org forum to discuss this (https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certificate-issue-causing-add-ons-to-be-disabled-or-fail-to-install/39047) and it isn't scaling up well -- the site is returning an error "429 Too Many Requests" instead of the discussion.

Until discourse.org increases their capacity nobody gets to read the discussion. Whatever sage advice was posted there is flatly unavailable to others. A comparable failure could happen with an email server too (perhaps too many posts fills up a server's temp storage and the server fails, or the list processor has a lot of messages to handle so list responses are sluggish) but I'd hardly call discourse.org's current implementation an improvement.