[libreplanet-discuss] FSF individualism in Logic Magazine

From: Danny Spitzberg
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF individualism in Logic Magazine
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:51:01 -0700

   Hi all
   [1]this article on the "failure" of free software ran last month (long
   before the recent scandal) and offers what could be an important wake
   up call — especially in light of the wild hand-wringing about RMS.
   The following quote feels prescient:
   “Free software pioneers like Stallman tended to approach the issue from
   an individualized perspective, drawn from the 1970s-1980s hacker
   culture that many of them came from: if you could change how enough
   hackers wrote and used software, you could change the world. This
   highly personalized model of social change proposed an individual
   solution to a structural problem, which necessarily neglected the wider
   social context.”
   As we look forward from this RMS fracas, I wonder how other folks here
   feel about this article.