Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignati

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 00:36:08 +0300

al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:
> Those who here have clear how the statements of RMS have been misunderstood,
> distorted and in some cases even manipulated - more or less consciously,
> often with superficiality and hypocrisy - should manifest it, asking FSF to
> reject the resignation of RMS.
>
> In the progressive encirclement to the ethics and principles of FSF, which
> has been going on for many years now, these forced resignations appear to me
> as the most serious fall of one of the most important defensive bastions
> left; with the likely perspective that even FSF can now easily fall into the
> hands of those who are drastically eroding, even from within, the principles
> and freedoms they represent.
>
> Rejecting the resignation of RMS, FSF today has the opportunity to prove
> itself to be a truly free entity, driven by ethical principles in favor of
> freedom and of people, and not by personalistic interests and motivations or,
> worse still, by those who in substance are against what FSF has so far
> defended and represented.
>
> I am a member since March 2009, and I wish I could continue to trust FSF. But
> if FSF does not defend R and does not reject his resignation, I will no
> longer be able to trust in FSF and I will be forced to stop renewing my
> memership.  This is really very sad.
>
> Please, those who think like me, make your voice heard!

There are many of those who share your apprehensions, but, I’m afraid, you
hardly found much of them reading this mailing list.  I hope, you tried more
popular social platforms too.

On the other hand, I could imagine a much worse scenario: one unfortunate day,
Dr. Stallman is not forced to resign, he simply dies: there is no any scandals,
and the very same people, who are backstabbing him now, bestows stock praises
on the deceased while exulting in their hearts — we, however, are never aware
of that.

History taughts us, that a lifework of great leader, who neglects an
opportunity to step aside and let his successors to display themselves while
still keeping an eye on them, might go rack and ruin in moments.

Dr. Stallman, though unwillingly, took that opportunity.