Re: Libre web front-end

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: Libre web front-end
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:22:24 -0800

El 2019-11-12 11:08, Roberto Beltran escribió:
>> If the code is not released, it is not under the control of the user.
>> Service as a Software Substitute (SaaSS) is a risk.
>
> Even if the code is released it's still not under the control of the
> "user" if you mean the gamer. The actual user of the back-end software
> is the server operator.

The user of the game is the gamer. He must be free. The server operator
is not a game user.

> There is no ethical basis for the gamer having
> control over the server (someone else's computer).

Not control over the server, but over the game he is playing. It must be
the software that serves the user, not the user that serves the
software, even if it were gratis.

Interaction with other players is another issue which is desirable to be
in control of the users because the server does not need to control such
interaction, only to facilitate it.

> I agree that SaaSS
> is bad, but if the back-end is a service that is not a software
> substitute, then there is no issue from a strictly freedom standpoint.

Sure. The absolutely necessary operations that the users cannot be do
themselves must unavoidably be on the server. But the game can in fact
be operated on the users' machines.

Lets not be tricked by SaaSS operators who try to draw a line closer and
closer to having control over our computing. They hire the most
intelligent people to lure us into servitude. It is very tempting
because it is usually the most comfortable route. But we must resist
fiercely and net give away our freedom for any reason.