Re: FLOSS alternatives (was re:Campaign to boycott Facebook)

From: Federico Leva (Nemo)
Subject: Re: FLOSS alternatives (was re:Campaign to boycott Facebook)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:14:37 +0200

LM, 24/02/20 21:11:
With the recent issues
with Yahoo Groups, I investigated what free mailing list alternatives
were still available.  I ran across a few options like
https://framalistes.org/sympa/  but I really could not find a lot of
options even when I looked at non-Free alternatives in this area.

Sounds like you want https://mobilizon.org/ , the test instance has been made available recently: https://test.mobilizon.org/

In general, have you checked https://degooglisons-internet.org/ and https://contributopia.org/ plus https://sandstorm.io/ too?

For small mailing lists it's not that complicated to find an existing mailman instance to join, unless the topic of your group is very peculiar. If you don't need as many features or as right an integration with email workflows, for a new group I guess nowadays you'd probably end up on a hosted Discourse forum or something of the sort. Finally, a lot of people have unlearnt asynchronous communication, so instant messaging is all the rage; there are various good solutions for that.

Federico