FLOSS alternatives (was re:Campaign to boycott Facebook)

From: LM
Subject: FLOSS alternatives (was re:Campaign to boycott Facebook)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 14:11:29 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 Jim Garret wrote:
> From: Jim Garrett <jimgarrett@posteo.net>
> I also made the tactical choice to
> not for Free Software specifically, for which I'm sure many here will
> be disappointed.  I generally do advocate for Free Software when I
> see an opportunity, but I felt the need to focus in this case, and can
> discuss software freedom in whatever follow-up conversations arise.

I would be very interested to hear what alternatives there are to
various social media networks that are specifically Free/Libre
software based.  I'd also be especially interested in what
alternatives work well with low resource or older hardware.  Many of
the newer social media systems require the latest and greatest
browsers or other software that's complicated to build and isn't
always available for older systems.  Forums like the Puppy Linux forum
try very hard to support older and low resource computers.  Are there
other good examples of this sort of thing?  With the recent issues
with Yahoo Groups, I investigated what free mailing list alternatives
were still available.  I ran across a few options like
https://framalistes.org/sympa/ but I really could not find a lot of
options even when I looked at non-Free alternatives in this area.  Has
anyone put together a list of FLOSS options for social media sites and
Internet methods of connecting with each other (whether they're web
2.0 based or earlier concepts)?  I'd appreciate hearing any
suggestions for FLOSS options for social media or suggestions for
resources where you could look up FLOSS options.  Thanks.