Re: Campaign to boycott Facebook

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: Campaign to boycott Facebook
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:00:12 -0800

On 2020-02-24 23:16, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> Aaron Wolf, 24/02/20 17:55:
>> Leaving is better, but if someone*doesn't*  leave, they should at least
>> focus on consciousness-raising there. They can do so in replies as well
>> as posts.
>
> Comments may be good, I agree. For instance you can comment when
> somebody makes an announcement or opens a conversation which excludes
> people who don't use Facebook, pointing out the problems. You can also
> comment on posts which violate copyleft, which are plenty:
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/CC_BY-SA_on_Facebook>. On the
> other hand it's difficult to do this while claiming you're not on Facebook.
>
> Never comment on misleading posts or posts you disagree with, because
> activity and controversy make them more visible.
>
>> I agree that it's likely they overall bury anti-FB posts, but
>> who knows, it's a black box.
>
> There was some report about this in the last few months from a former
> employee, claiming there was a permanent monitoring of posts with the
> word "Facebook" in them, and not just to listen to feedback. I couldn't
> find the exact source though:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Criticism_of_Facebook&oldid=942532487#Content_critical_of_Facebook>

Please if anyone can find that, I would really like to see it, and it
would be great to add a citation to Wikipedia.

I've presumed that the only option is to tell people to do things like
hint at the topic without using the words "Facebook".

Anyway, it's indeed a losing battle to try to fight on their terf. But
I'd still rather the people there be dissidents than just be passive and
still using it.