Re: purism why does fsf and libreplanet embrace a misleading company?

From: Marcus Wilson
Subject: Re: purism why does fsf and libreplanet embrace a misleading company?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 10:20:46 -0500

I'm sorry but my email client seems to only show the letter A as the author so
I'm going to use OP for original poster.

It's clear that the original poster is very passionate.

I am finding it difficult to parse their emails. I'm not sure if it's the
writing style or what, but to help me try and understand I've tried rephrasing.

* Core Issue : Purism is selling and marketing products as if they did not
contain proprietary software when they do. By doing this they are demonstrating
a hostility to the Free Software movement and it is upsetting because the Free
Software Foundation is associating with them by allowing them to table at
events and apply for the RYF certification.

* Sub Issue 1 : Purism uses Intel chips, and because Intel's chips all come
with the Management Engine on them any device with an Intel chip is running
non-free software.

What Purism has to say about the ME : https://puri.sm/learn/intel-me/

What I think is the problem OP has : Because the product page doesn't disclose
or directly link to the ME page customers may not be aware of the ME on the
Intel processor.

* Sub Issue 2 : Purism's cell phone the Librem 5 contains radios that require
non-free software to operate.

What Purism has said : https://puri.sm/faq/ The question is near the bottom and
is titled "Are all hardware components running completely free software, with
the source code available?"

What I think is the problem OP has: Because there are still non-free components
in the Librem 5 product the device does not meet the definition of free.

How I feel about this :
I found satisfactory answers to these issues in the Purism FAQ and when
searching using Duck Duck Go and relevant terms. This company doesn't seem to
be hostile or doing anything disingenuous. The Respect Your Freedom
certification is run with integrity and I have faith that it is issued only
when the standards are met.

This is also pretty long for an email but I hope it's broken up and formatted
enough that we can at least talk about it. This thread felt like yelling and it
was making me feel sad. Please let me know if I have misunderstood something.

Hope you're all enjoying Libre Planet !

-Marcus