Re: Sharing your free software / quarantine success story

From: LM
Subject: Re: Sharing your free software / quarantine success story
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 13:05:16 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM, you wrote:

> So no real buy-in for now. Although I guess that getting Sillicon Valley
> to use free software is like playing the game in ultra-hard mode. I'll
> keep trying, though.

Not really surprising.  The School District where I work prefers to
stick with vendors that offer full support rather than using Open
Source software.  Trying to share OER or FLOSS alternatives is an
uphill battle in these kinds of situations.  However, I'm sure there
are people who are in a situation where they don't have a lot of
choices as to what they can use or access.  Getting the word out to
them about FLOSS alternatives and volunteering technical assistance
could really be of benefit to them.  Now seems like a really good time
to try to connect and let people know what's available because so many
people seem interested in and are currently writing about this online.
It's a great time to post comments to relevant articles and mention
alternatives.

By the way, I've seen a lot of groups using Zoom.  It doesn't even
work on my main laptop.  I've been posting to the groups and letting
them know they aren't reaching everyone with the tools they're using
and mentioning alternatives if they're interested.