Re: Whatʼs wrong with with a phone? jmp.chat (was: Buying cryptocurrency

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Whatʼs wrong with with a phone? jmp.chat (was: Buying cryptocurrency for fiat while avoiding nonfree software)
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 10:36:08 +0300

Denver Gingerich <denver@ossguy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 01:03:49AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>> Roberto Beltran <robertobeltran@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>> require a cellphone
>>
>> Whatʼs wrong with a phone?  Afaik, SMS is perfectly usable with free
>> programs.
>
> It depends what you mean.  There is currently no way to send/receive SMS over
> the cellular network without running non-free software, since all cellular
> baseband chipsets require non-free baseband firmware

No, I definitely have not meant *that*.  If nonfree firmwares are haram for
you, then you are stuck somewhere in 70-s.  To the best of my knowledge, there
is no SSD or HDD with free firmware on the consumer market, for instance.  Iʼve
never heard of a free firmware monitors either, do they exist?  No digital
camera.  Hardly even an automatic washing machine.

> https://jmp.chat/
> we host
> I'm happy to answer any questions people might have

Nevertheless, Iʼm happy to see your among subscribers of that list. :-)

> and apologies in advance if this is off-topic.

Why should freedom-friendly services should be offtopic here?  IIRC, even the
very jmp.chat had been briefly discussed here several times.