Re: Buying cryptocurrency for fiat while avoiding nonfree software (was:

From: Denver Gingerich
Subject: Re: Buying cryptocurrency for fiat while avoiding nonfree software (was: VPS providers with libre or no JS)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 23:35:36 +0000

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 01:03:49AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Roberto Beltran <robertobeltran@protonmail.com> wrote:
> > I've only ever bought crypto in person for cash.
> > So far I've only seen proprietary apps, the ATMs
> > that require a cellphone
>
> Whatʼs wrong with a phone?  Afaik, SMS is perfectly usable with free programs.

It depends what you mean.  There is currently no way to send/receive SMS over
the cellular network without running non-free software, since all cellular
baseband chipsets require non-free baseband firmware (there are some projects
aiming to fix this, but they are not ready yet).

However, you can send/receive SMS using other services (that let your side of
the SMS conversation go over the Internet instead of the cell network).  I
happen to run one at https://jmp.chat/ in case you want to try it out - the
software is fully free so you can run your own instance if you rather that over
the one we host.  There are others out there as well (a web search for "voip
sms" will find them), but none that I've found support picture messaging and
short codes (and soon group texting) like JMP does.

I'm happy to answer any questions people might have, and apologies in advance
if this is off-topic.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/