Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:22:54 -0400

On 7/23/20 12:48 PM, Sagar Acharya via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

I read "Free as in Freedom" by Richard Stallman and am a strong supporter of
GNU project. I strongly want it to succeed.

However, when you keep money away from the free software movement, such a movement cannot survive
against people who actively charge money for binaries without source code. All power arises from
concealment. When you understand a system very well, the power goes away and it looks ordinary.
When GNU or libre movement asks contributors or volunteers (both fancy words for "work for me
for free"), you present making libre software as a secondary thing rather than a central
thing. When projects licensed GPLv3 rely almost completely on "donations" from other, you
rely on the donor's generosity for getting food at your table. I really want people to remove
reliance on external things and make GNU central and very active.

So what's your point?

FOSS is doing quite well.  Apache powers the web.  Postfix powers email.  Linux, Python, ...  And plenty of the bug guys pay good money to folks who crank out FOSS software.

What's the point of pontificating & spouting counter-factual bullshit?  Do you just like making a fool of yourself?  Or am I missing something?

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown