Re: Open voting platform for the 2020 election - volunteers needed

From: Chris Franklin
Subject: Re: Open voting platform for the 2020 election - volunteers needed
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 18:33:41 +0200 (CEST)

   Thank you Chris for thinking about democracy as a result of libre

   software.

   I also like your campaign. If I would live in the USA, I would vote for

   you for your healthy social values.

   Please consider that voting electronically would reveal the identity of

   voters and direction of their votes individually. Perhaps providing a

   token to vote and making it impossible to identify specifically with
   the

   voter's choice would work to preserve privacy. But I am not clear how

   or if that would work.

   Thank you for your kind words and suggestion.

   Using a token is definitely a possibility, and, used in combination
   with other technologies as well as the incorporation of time and method
   as variables, we’d already be most of the way to a reasonably-secure
   solution.  It’s important to remember that, for this first iteration,
   the platform doesn’t have to be impossible to hack.  It just has to be
   un-hackable within a given time frame — similar to how 2FA works.  In
   fact, there are many possibilities that will work.

   As you correctly point out, identity is quite important.  I take
   identity security very seriously as an end goal, but the context here
   is, fortunately, less demanding than one might think.  The U.S. is so
   polarized at this point that most people are very open about who they
   support and who they don’t support.  This gives us some flexibility and
   the possibility of a good and very useful end product even if identity
   security isn’t perfected yet.  (The level of security at the time of
   release will, of course, be fully and obviously disclosed so that
   people can choose to participate or not based on what is best for
   them.)  *The high-order bit / priority is having true voting
   information as a check on the official results*, and I am very
   confident we can achieve this in time.

   It's important to remember that identity and intent (the two primary
   factors here) are processed billions of times daily in the form of
   credit card transactions, so this project is absolutely feasible with
   the proper focus and effort.

   Thank you again for your response.

   Take care,
   Chris Franklin
   ByThePeople2020 | A Presidential Campaign for Democracy
   PO Box 372 Unicoi TN 37692
   FEC ID C00743997

   [1]ByThePeople2020.org

   Jul 23, 2020, 11:18 PM by quiliro@riseup.net:

   Thank you Chris for thinking about democracy as a result of libre

   software.

   I also like your campaign. If I would live in the USA, I would vote for

   you for your healthy social values.

   Please consider that voting electronically would reveal the identity of

   voters and direction of their votes individually. Perhaps providing a

   token to vote and making it impossible to identify specifically with
   the

   voter's choice would work to preserve privacy. But I am not clear how

   or if that would work.

   Keep on hacking (using wit for playfully solving problems)!