Re: [address@hidden: Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [address@hidden: Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?]
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 08:59:42 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-11-01 07:18]:

>   > > > I believed that the ethical spirit that originated GNU and GPL
>   > > > (copyleft), and that is the basis of the FSF, was exactly that of
>   > > > opposing trademarks, copyrights and patents.
>   > >
>   > > That is my perception too.
>
> That's not how it was, or is.  Copyright, patents and trademarks are
> separate, unrelated issues.  I formed my views about them separately,
> and reached a different conclusion about each one.
>
> I started out with the idea that software should be free.  Later I
> concluded that other kinds of works for practical use should also be
> free (especially educational works).  Also, I concluded that
> noncommercial sharing should be legal for all works.
>
> But I have never been in favor of abolishing copyright.  If you read
> https://gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-vs-community.html you will see
> where I stand.

Was thecopyrighted GNU logo GNU Head or GNU trademark was ever
"enforced"? Was there ever need to enforce it?

In relation to enforcing GPL today we can see thousands of DMCA
notices on Github many related to GPL, so people use DMCA to enforce
GPL and other licenses, including protecting their proprietary
software reused and reissued under GPL.

How many times did FSF evere legally enforce the GPL? Meaning by using
court processes?

Jean